Friday, August 9, 2013

Dinosaurs - Toddler Time

I was recently a substitute for a Toddler program this summer. The age range was 1 to 3. Usually our Toddler programs are ages 2 to 3.5. We have a separate program for one-year-olds during the school year but not in the summer. This year there were numerous requests to continue it in the summer. The only way it could be done this summer was to include them in the Toddler program. The program was so popular that we ended up adding two more sessions.


Toddler Time - Dinosaurs

7/31/13, two sessions - 9:30 a.m. & 10:30 a.m., 20 children & 15 adults

Opening Song - "If You're Happy and You Know It"

Book: Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs by Byron Barton

Activity: "I Spy" Six dinosaurs, each a different color, were on the walls of the storytime room. I would say, "I spy with my little eye, a green dinosaur!" The children would then look around and find it. The caregivers helped the younger children.

Rhyme: "One Baby Dinosaur Began to Roar" based on "One Baby Dino Began to Roar." We emphasized the roaring part. I put up baby dinosaurs on the board and put them on their backs when they "began to snore."

Activity: "Red Dinosaur, Red Dinosaur, What Do You See?" This is from the Thrive After Three blog.

Book: How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane Yolen

Rhyme/Song: "One Baby Dinosaur Went Out to Play" I made a prop instead of board figures.

Book: If the Dinosaurs Came Back by Bernard Most. I did not read this at the first session. The second session had more older children so I added this book.

Rhyme: "Five Fat Funny Dinosaurs" This is a monkey mitt rhyme that I have used for years.

Book: A Number of Dinosaurs by Paul Stickland

Activity/Game: "Baby Dinosaur, Baby Dinosaur" Baby dinosaur is hiding from his mother and the children have to find him. This is a variation of the "Little Mouse" game.


Posted with BlogsyPosted with Blogsy

No comments:

Post a Comment