Friday, July 13, 2012

Inspiration for Summer Storytimes

Flannel Friday is probably my main source of storytime ideas now. I finally got to use the "Alphabet Soup" idea. I used the rhyme from In the Children's Room. Thank you Lucy and all the other Flannel Friday bloggers who showed how versatile this activity is. It was a great hit with at my latest Family Story Time and I will definitely be using it again.

I found clip art in Microsoft Publisher that I liked, enlarged it, added the letters, printed it and had it laminated, and then cut the pieces out. Since we use a magnet board, I added magnets to the back of each piece. I used a black plastic pot for the "soup." For very little time and effort, I had an activity enjoyed by all ages. (I think I will use this concept as a "letter scramble" game for future class visits.)



While I was looking for ideas in the CSLP manual, I came across a small section that mentioned two games I could adapt for the current theme. "Find the Moon" and "Finish the Pattern" (Dream Big Read! 2012 Collaborative Summer Library Program Manual, Chapter 4 - "Night, Night," pp. 126 - 126). I have used variations of both before but this reminded me that I could do them for this summer's theme.

I used "Find the Moon" for a recent Family Story Time but did not have time for "Finish the Pattern." I plan to use it in my upcoming Pajama Story Time.


"Find the Moon"
(Of course I added glitter glue to my moon.)

"Finish the Pattern"
(I used a highlighter to make the stars glow and a metallic marker to make the moons shine.)

This week's Flannel Friday is being hosted by Katie of Storytime Katie.

No comments:

Post a Comment