Friday, February 10, 2012

From Felt to Prop

I have a confession to make.  In the 15 years that I had a flannel board, I never once made a figure out of felt.  I truly admire those who have the patience and dexterity to create the lovely pieces I have seen on Flannel Friday.  In my previous position, I was the only youth services librarian so I was responsible for everything including programs and collection development for both children and teens.  I also had to spend time on the adult desk.  My creative time was limited so I learned to be very efficient at what I did.  I found that buying several yards of craft weight interfacing at a time and a good set of markers enabled me to make numerous story sets rather quickly - copy, trace, outline, color and cut.

My current library has a magnet board so figures are still easy to make - copy, color, laminate and cut.  However, now that I work part-time, I don't always have a chance to get things laminated.  This is partly my fault because I tend to think of things I want to do for a program at the last minute (I once changed my entire storytime program the day before).  So lately I have been making quick and easy props.

I would like to thank Erin of Falling Flannelboards for suggesting "Four Candy Hearts" from Storytime Magic and Meghan from Busy Crafting Mommy and her colleague Elizabeth for writing "Six Little Hearts." I made props for both of these rhymes.  I'm posting what I did even though most people have probably already done their Valentine's Day programs.  This one's for those last minute folks like me. 

For "Four Candy Hearts" I traced the heart pattern on neon cardstock. I added an edge to make it look more like candy.  I outlined the heart and wrote the words with marker and then cut out the heart.  It bothered me that the rhyme only had the words for three hearts so I did a little "research."  I just happened to have a bag of candy hearts available so I went through it looking for a phrase I liked. I selected "Sweet Thing."  I pasted the appropriate lines of the rhyme on the back of each heart.  I also numbered each heart so I would have them in the correct order. No memorization required.



For "Six Little Valentines" I used some envelopes I had and Microsoft Publisher.  I made 5 small hearts and one large heart and printed them out.  I found clip art for each of the animals and after making sure they would fit in the envelopes, printed them as well.  I wrote the appropriate phrase on each of the small hearts and pasted one on each animal.  I used a metallic marker to embellish the large heart.  I glued the figures to cardstock and cut them out.  I "addressed" the front of the envelopes and pasted the appropriate lines on the back of each one.  I numbered them like I did the hearts.  Each animal was in the envelope to start and I pulled it out as I read the lines.  I ended the storytelling part of my program with this rhyme.




This week's Flannel Friday Round-Up is hosted by Library Quine at http://loonsandquines.blogspot.com/2012/02/flannel-friday-roundup-for-10th-feb.html.

9 comments:

  1. I don't think the material matters... this is still flannel... it's on a flannelboard, yes? No? Doesn't matter! it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I am not the only one who changes things around at the last minute! I really think sometimes those are the best ideas! I do have been limited in the time I have to create and plan for story time so I understand where you are coming from with using your resources wisely. I do flannel when I can, and when I can't, cardstock and clip art work wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am more of a magnetic board person but I also like to mix things up with an occasional flannel and much more often with props, too. I think it is more important that you do what you are comfortable with. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! Do what you have time for and feel comfortable with. I think Flannel Friday is more about encouraging different storytelling methods than just using felt. I like how you adapted the envelopes in particular. I love the original felt version but I don't currently have the time or skill to pull it off myself. But I admire those who do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to know that others have to take some time-saving measures, too! I wanted to do "Six Little Valentines" too, but wasn't quite sure how to cut down the preparation time. Thanks for the idea, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too, often ditch whatever theme I was GOING to do at the last minute (often as I read through the books that I have on the theme I realized they are not appropriate for my group in one way or another). I like having a variety of mediums for presenting a story and props and "realia" are some of my favorites, in addition to flannel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I work with other librarians, each of us has a different storytelling style. It's great to hear from people who use some of my methods. It's even better to find out that I'm not the only change/add things at the last minute type of person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am changing my storytime for this week and next week RIGHT NOW. :) So I needed a quick rhyme, and I think I found one. Thank you for sharing! I also almost never have time to make pretty flannels, but I've found over the years that the quickie ones work just as well. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so great to see how others tell their flannel stories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete