Friday, June 8, 2012

Aliens at Bedtime

This summer I will be doing a Pajama Story Time. Bedtime will be the focus of this program. I thought it would be fun to add some aliens to the mix so I wrote the following with colorful alien props in mind. I made my aliens out of card stock. Flannel board figures would also work. Finger puppets would work for a small group. Stick puppets would work for a larger group.



Aliens at Bedtime
(Written by L. Meuse, 6/8/12 - Notes from the Story Room blog)

It was late last night when I went to bed.
I fell asleep as soon as my pillow met my head.
All was well until there was a loud beep,
Which woke me up from a very sound sleep.
I sat up in bed and rubbed my eyes,
Then blinked in wonder and surprise,
For standing there as clear as could be,
Were three strange creatures smiling at me.
"Gleep," said the first who was purple and blue.
"Hello," I replied, "How do you do?"
"Meep," said the second who was yellow and red.
"How nice to meet you," I answered, getting out of my bed.
"Dreep," said the third who was orange and green.
"How may I help you?" I asked the only aliens I've ever seen.
"Gleep, meep, dreep.  Dreep, meep, gleep," was all they would say.
I answered, "I hope you are here for a nice long stay."
But sadly their visit did not last long at all,
For as I put on my slippers, they ran down the hall.
And out the front door without saying a word.
"Gleep! Meep! Dreep!" I called but I don't think they heard.
When I reached the front door, a silver ship was flying high,
And soon disappeared into the dark night sky.
So I returned to my bed and soon was asleep,
Dreaming of creatures that went gleep, meep and dreep.


Aliens

Paper lunch bags glued to the back make great stands

The bags fold flat for easy storage


This week's Flannel Friday round-up is hosted by Katie of Recipe for Reading. Information about Flannel Friday can be found on the Flannel Friday website.

4 comments:

  1. These little guys are so adorable! I love that they have 3 eyes. Cute!

    Creative idea for making them standup and a fun story, too! You offered a lot this week. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    Enjoy your weekend!
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fact that they can be used for an alien or space storytime as well as for a bedtime one and that they can be large or small. Our family story time is held in a meeting room so I made them large so they could easily be seen.

      Delete
  2. I love the way you made these aliens stand up and fold down for storage - very clever. I am just becoming friendly with monsters and aliens. Thanks for the inspiration ~ jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used grocery bags to support the pumpkin when we did Erica Silverman's "Big Pumpkin" (see post for 10/23/11) and this led me to use lunch bags for smaller props. Stuffing the bags with crumpled paper gives even more support if needed. You can also store smaller flat prop pieces in the bags.

      Delete