Thursday, August 11, 2011

Folktales from Europe - A Family Story Time

8/10/11 - 3 to 4 p.m. 
Attendance - 17 children, 10 adults

Book: 
Drat That Fat Cat by Pat Thomsen

Board stories: 
"The Goat in the Turnip Patch" from The Flannel Board Storytelling Book (1997) by Judy Sierra
"The Old Woman and Her Pig" from The Flannel Board Storytelling Book (1987) by Judy Sierra
"Goldilocks and the Three Bears" - fractured version

Stick puppets: 
"The Bremen Town Musicians"

Prop story: 
"Drakes-Tail" from Multicultural Folktales: Stories to Tell Young Children  by Judy Sierra

Craft: 

The group was smaller this week but I expected it to be.  There has been very little traffic lately driving in to work so I figured there must be a lot of people on vacation.  I live and work in central New Jersey and contrary to what the media portrays, the Jersey shore is a great place for families.  However, my regular families came today which was the last Family Story Time session.  I shall miss them because the kids will soon be in school all day and I won't be seeing them.  I've known several of them since I had them in Toddler Time for two and three-year-olds. 

I have already posted about how I was able to stack the stick puppets for the "Bremen Town Musicians" (6/10/11).  My big project was making Drakestail which I will describe in a later post.  The children enjoyed watching his friends go down his throat and then come back out when he needed help later in the story.  Another favorite with the children was "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" because when I tell it I get it all wrong and I need lots of help from the audience (which they enthusiastically give).  Circle stories are also great for a mixed-age group and this time I did "The Old Woman and Her Pig" which I haven't done for several years.

Craft - 8/10/11

No comments:

Post a Comment